Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Update

Why is it that I get so excited at the start of a new project only to hit a plateau half way through and then to drag out the finishing process for weeks, sometimes months? What happens to that initial excitement and energy - the kind of energy and excitement that keep you up way past your bedtime to work on a project??

Well, lo and behold some FOs that followed exactly the course I describe above. These FOs took little time to knit but the finishing process took months on end. Nonetheless, here they are in all their glory:


Pattern:A Hearthbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono in Mason-Dixon Knitting
Modifications: I extended the front flap to the side seam. It looked prettier to me than ending the flap mid-way on the side. I also added the YO border along the bottom, and I added a YO border along the neckline in the back.
Yarn:
Comments: I like this pattern, but the second time around just didn't do it for me. I got a little sloppy towards the end and didn't follow the directions all that well. As a result, the front flap extends way long. No matter, it's cute. I also love the cute elephant buttons! Adorable.
Modifications I'd make if I knit it again: Not sure. I'd keep the yarn over or find another border to do, as I think the plain St st and garter st are boring.



Pattern:Anouk and Miss Dashwood Baby Hat, both from Knitty.com
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash Wool
Modfications: None
Comments: I love these patterns. I've already knit a hat for DD and am planning a pinafore for her as well. Both knit up so quickly - it was amazing. I had fun knitting both sides of the pinafore at the same time using circular needles and multiple balls of yarn. This was my first attempt at pockets, and after several starts, I'm really pleased with how they turned out, both in terms of the intarsia pattern but also how they are attached to the dress.

I also love the buttons, which match the dress perfectly! I found them after I made the dress, so it was serendipity in pulling it all together. Perfect.
Modifications I'd make next time: On the pinafore I'd add a beautiful picot border along the CO edge. I want it to match the hat, but I also think it's a beautiful edge. It's inspired me to learn different edgings and COs.

BTW, Aimee was happy to appear in the pics with the dress and hat. She loves the ear flaps especially and is getting more excited overall about the new addition, which is due to arrive September 14. Good luck, Aimee!

No comments: