Saturday, November 18, 2006

My first planned modification

NOTE: All credit goes to Grumperina for this pattern! I am using her Sharkif pattern and modifying it to suit my interests, but she deserves all the credit for this stunning pattern.

Here is my first graphed and planned modification. I like the Sharkif, but I wanted to see what it would look like with the middle cable twist staggered with the border cables. I haven't swatched this yet, so I might abandon it, but I wanted to give it a go.

Here's my first ever knitting graph. I used excel to create this - very easy!

First: I think the needles are too big, so I'm going to go down to 5.0 mm. The fabric is very loose and I don't think it will hold up well for a scarf or for a man's scarf.

Second: I dislike the k1, p1 (it's an effective and attractive pattern; I just hate knitting it), so I did the pattern for 5 st instead of 7.

Third: It's really not good to start a cable immediately following a CO row, so I moved the first cable row from R1 to R3 and moved the cables on R5 to R7.

We'll see how this works.

1 comment:

Amy Lane said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! Your modifications are so organized...when I modify something, I do it as I'm working, in my head, and then wonder why the first part doesn't come out like the second. This is especially fun with socks.