Friday, October 27, 2006

A Long Overdue Introduction


to the first knit adult garment that I like. I present the Lotus Blossom Tank. I started this tank this summer using Debbie Bliss Cathay. It's from Interweave Knits mag, summer 2006 edition. I really enjoyed this knit, though I didn't particularly enjoy the finishing (does anyone?). I wouldn't use the yarn again - I don't think I'm a huge fan of cotton for wearing (it doesn't have any stretch except to stretch OUT), and the yarn is splitty! It was difficult to weave in the ends, and I had to split the yarn into three different strands, thread onto a sewing needle, and get that sucker bound in the middle of other strands of yarn to hold it all in place.

In any case, I'm happy with the results, and I hope my sister likes it. She has much more of a figure than I do, so I think it will look much better on her. I just hope it's not too short as a result of her larger bust. It hits me at about the belly button now, and I have the great plains of the midwest for boobs. Any boobage at all will make that sucker rise up, so I hope it's OK.

In any case, here it is. I'd love to learn how to incorporate the lace pattern into a flat piece - it's knit in the round and probably just takes a little studying to translate it. I like it overall. My first knit adult garment that I actually like!

4 comments:

Julie said...

If your lace pattern is 'two row lace' where one row has all the action (yarn overs, decreases, etc) and another row is knit plain, to knit it flat all you do is work it so the action row is the knit row, and then purl back instead of knitting a plain round.

Good gourd, that's all one sentence. I hope it makes sense.

Heidi said...

Congratulations! So maybe you should knit it for yourself, out of a yarn you like better?

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Congrats on a lovely tank!

As far as converting the lace pattern from knitting in the round to flat... without looking at the pattern, I'm going to guess that every other row (ie. all the even rows) was a knit row. If that's the case, then to knit flat, knit the odd rows per the pattern, and purl the even rows. Does that make sense?

Amy Lane said...

Wow--that's fantabulous... it looks really awesome--I'm impressed with your fortitude in finishing!