Sunday, April 09, 2006

Details

Nighttime Knitting
Tailgate Rag Rug from Mason-Dixon Knitting
*instead of using rags as the border, I'm using 4 strands of the Lily in pale yellow
Lily Sugar 'n Cream Butter Cream Ombre Worsted 4-ply, 100% cotton
Lily Sugar 'n Cream Yellow Worsted 4-ply, 100% cotton
Lily Sugar 'n Cream Pale Yellow Worsted 4-ply, 100% cotton
This pattern looked like so much fun, and I've been wanting to get a rug for DD's room in just the right colors that I decided to knit it up myself. Cheap cheap cheap but luvley Lily Sugar 'n Cream yarn. It's what my MawMaw taught me to knit with. This is a fast project so far and the most forgiving I've had (besides the dishcloths). It's perfect for my TV knitting when I'm tired, usually very relaxed after a cocktail, knitting in somehwat dim light, and only paying half attention to it. The cami, on the other hand, requires full attention. And speaking of which . . .


Weekend Daytime Knitting
Honeymoon Cami from knitty.com
Portofino Color 1, 70% Cotton, 30% Viscose
I really like this yarn, but it's annoying to knit. I love the weight, the drape, the shimmer, and the coolness of the yarn. It'll be perfect for the summer. But it's such a pain to knit - no matter how careful I am, I inevitably look at it the wrong way and it gets upset. It's worse than my toddler's tantrums. Today DH took DD to the park for several hours during which I could knit to my heart's content. Lucky me - I was able to redo all the ripped parts. I also spent some time last week figuring out the pattern and making detailed notes, which have proven very helpful. Interestingly, I think I did find a problem with the pattern (although so many others have made it I'd have expected someone else to find it). According to KnittingHelp.com, the left decreases and right decreases in the honeymoon cami are reversed. In the cami, the left decreases are really right decreases and vice versa. I am reknitting the cami with the knittinghelp.com decreases and it's turning out very nicely.


Weekday Train Knitting
One Singular Sensation from Yarn Girl's Guide to Beyond the Basics
*I'm knitting this in a solid instead of stripes
Zara Merino Extra Fine, Color 1731, 100% Wool

This has got to be the softest, squishiest, loveliest yarn I've knitted with in awhile. I love how forgiving this yarn is - it holds its shape incredibly well, makes my sloppy knitting look decent, and springs back into place when pulled slightly. It's not too pricey, either, especially compared to the Portofino. Here's another pic with DD, who saw me taking pics of the knitting and insisted on having one of her. I made her a deal by saying I'd take one ONLY if she sat with the knitting. My lovely girl, knitter-in-training, complied. You can also see the color of the yarn is very different here than in the close-up. In the natural light, it's much more the color in DD's pic, not the close-up.

No comments: